A little background on the Million Dollar Baby

A little background on the Million Dollar Baby.
The truck is a 1992 Kenworth B Model W-900. It has a 425 h.p. 3406 B-Model Caterpillar engine, a 15 speed deep-reduction transmission with 3:55 Eaton 402 rear ends. It has the V.I.T. Kenworth interior and the Aerodyne I style 60" walk in sleeper with double bunks. It had a 270 inch wheelbase before I cut it down, and I haven't measured it since.
It has approximately 1.5 million miles on it, and I drove it about 900,000 of those miles. I had an inframe rebuild done to the engine in 1999, and it's been running untouched ever since. (Same turbocharger since then too! Today's lesson is change the oil regularly!)
It's on the third clutch since new, and I put an Eaton reconditioned transmission in it at about 1.3 million miles. (It didn't need a clutch then, but I put one in it anyway since the transmission was out already.)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Raisin' Arizona!















I was in the Army when "Raisin' Arizona came out. Imagine, if you will, how entertaining that was to the members of my unit who immediately wanted to know if I could get them a good deal on unfinished furniture, and I was continually instructed by various members of the platoon to "Get on up there and get me a toddler!"






I was immediately struck by how close to the mark the Coen Brothers came in their portrayal of rural Arizona. They depict with stunning accuracy the prevalence of mobile homes, convenience stores and endless expanses of desert roads. It was also spot on in the portrayal of some of the, shall we say, unique individuals. Their use of the rural dialect was also impressive; especially some of the down home country truths I heard as a child.




So in the spirit of Raisin' Arizona, I give you this; The Scorpion Sucker. I found it at, yes, a convenience store. On the list of ingredients, it says; Maltodextrin-sugar. Scorpion. Yellow #5.




I couldn't help it; I was drawn to these things like a moth to a flame. I dug through them, looking for the best one to photograph for my blog. Nothing would do but I HAD TO HAVE ONE. I picked this one up, looked at the soft, gentle light filtering through the molded candy. I talked to the store clerk, marveling at the utter absurdity of the product. I looked at her and asked; "Why? Who would buy something like this?" I asked, totally caught up in the existentialism of the moment. She fixed me with her "I-can-help-whoever-is-next," stare, the one that lets a person know that she didn't have all day. Pay for your stuff then move it.

"Well, you bought one, didn't ya?" she said simply. I was floored. The simple country wisdom of her statement reminded of a saying I had heard my whole life; a statement I tried to never let apply to myself.








There's one born every minute.
















No comments:

Post a Comment